Welcome to my Pensieve
A collection place for all of my random thoughts, discoveries and interests. Tips about photography, website design, website speed, travel, wine and anything at all that sparks my interest as I journey through life.
A Collection of Useful Articles for Photographers and Others
As a professional photographer, who is interested in tech. I read a lot of random articles every day of my life, while trawling the internet. When I find useful things, I’m going to post them here. To save my brain having to keep them all inside. I hope others find these tips and tricks useful.
If you’d like to know how to Speed Up Your Website – get in touch. I run a simple course that will teach you everything you need to know to make your website run FAST! It’s not magic, there are no dodgy tricks. It’s just logical thinking and understanding why and how things work the way they do. It takes a logical mind to understand how computers think.
- AVIF Image Format TestI’ve been testing out the new AVIF image format. Smaller than WebP and potentially faster loading.
- Core Web Vitals CheckerA great website for checking how every page on your website performs for the Google Core Web Vitals.
- WordPress Themes – Speed TestA simple test of 5 popular themes, so see how much they affect the speed of your website.
- Idiots Guide to Slow Web HostingWhat happens if you use a slow web hosting company? The Tortoise & The Hare Unlike in the fable, with a web server, the hare will always win. If you are using a Tortoise to collect your assets, you’re gonna be waiting a long time for them to arrive. When you first load a website….
- TTFB – How Fast is a Fast Web Host?I spend a lot of time testing people’s websites. It’s become something of an obsession, after learning why my own website was running slow, I learned more about more about server response times. And I’m still learning. People used to like to say that if your website loaded in under 2 seconds, you had nothing…
- Quality versus PriceA subject that has for many years fascinated me and continues to fascinate me the older I get. I can never quite get over how some people value things totally differently to others. Of courses, everything has its relevance to one’s own situation. Water to a thirsty person has far more value than to someone…
- Idiots Guide to FTP
- How to Clear Website Cache FullyWhat is Cache? In website terms, a cache is a store of your website data, that can load faster than if you were trying to get the items from the server one by one. In simple speak, it means that every time your website loads it has to load a certain number of requests. An…
- How Fast is Your Web Hosting and Theme – The Bare Page TestI’ve been speeding up my website for over two years now. It’s been a journey, and as with all journeys, along the way I’ve met many people, hung out on numerous forums and learned new techniques and methods at every turn. And I continue to learn every day. One of the things that I learned,…
- Idiots guide: How to Move Your Website to New HostingAs part of my Website Speed teaching, one thing comes up time and time again. Slow hosting. So many photographers have their websites on slow website hosting. Think of website hosting as the foundation for your website. Build something on a poor quality foundation, it doesn’t matter how good everything else is, the hosting will…
- Removing Really Simple SSLReally Simple SSL is a great little plugin for when you are switching your site from http:// (insecure) to the newer https:// (secure). HTTP – Hypertext Transfer ProtocolHTTPS – Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure The problem with Really Simple SSL, is that once you’ve finished making everything secure. It doesn’t do anything. It just sits there…
- Best way to Move Photos between Hard DrivesHow to safely move large amounts of images from one hard drive to another, with 100% accurate results every time.
- Best ShortPixel Settings for PhotographersBest Settings for ShortPixel Image Optimiser – for Photographers. Optimum image compression with zero loss of quality.
- How to Speed up Your Website!I now run a course – two hours (often 3 hours) over Zoom, to teach other photographers (or anyone with a website) how they can get their websites out of the slow lane and get them loading fast. Considering Google is making efforts to ensure it delivers faster websites, with a major update coming in…
- Automated Backups Using ChronosyncClick the + (Plus symbol) in the Scheduled Task Manager window to create a new Task. For most purposes I simply change this to Daily at 8pm. That way I’ve normally finished the days work, but it’s not too late, so that if there are errors I can see them that evening in my emails….
- Highlight H1, H2 Headings on a Website
- Boot Backup DriveHow to create a Bootable Backup Drive
FAST WEB HOSTING
If you’re looking for a fast web host, you can’t go wrong with these two options. This site runs on Krystal and my main photo website runs on WPX. They are both superb and great value too.